Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blackadder

I had heard about this comedy series (I will indeed call it that) before, but I admit that I had no clue what it was about or who was in it. Today, in my Later 18th Century British Literature class, my teacher showed us a skit. I must say that I was quite pleased with it. To begin, Rowan Atkinson plays the character of Blackadder and it is one of the most serious roles I have ever seen him in (not because he isn't funny, but in the sense of the style of humor; it is not that over the top silliness that a character like Mr. Bean brings and requires). It also features Hugh Laurie (perhaps known best to American audiences for his role as Dr. House from House M.D.). It is an incredibly smart/clever style of humor and supposes at least somewhat of a knowledge of history and literature on the part of the audience.

Anyway, if anyone is feeling like they are just not getting enough quirky British humor in their diet, then go check out Blackadder. I know that I shall (after I finish Firefly).

No comments: