Friday, May 09, 2008

Paying Homage to Harry Potter

You'd think that enough time would have gone by for me to be candid about events from Harry Potter. It hasn't--my wife still has to read books 5-7. So, I will make my references to events, plot-points, and characters vague enough for her not to understand, and try to make them clear enough for those who have read the books to get. How will I do this? I have no clue.

What I want to say is that these books touched/moved me in ways that no other book has EVER been able to. I give J.K. Rowling full credit and deep respect for that. As I told Sir Steven a minute ago, I have never been more angry, while reading a book, than I was during Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HP5). I was enraptured in the conflict, and I actually grew to loathe someone. I had to literally stop myself at points and remind me that it was a fictional story and none of these people were real. It was that intense for me.

Conversely, I have never had any single event in a story make me as excited and, dare I say, giddy as did something that takes place in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (HP6). The second I finished that sublime moment, I immediately re-read it, and then after I finished the book, I went back and re-read it again. As a hint, so those who have read it will know of which part I speak, think of Ron's look to Harry that says, "If you must." BAM! I was floored and wanted to squeal like a little girl with glee.

Then you add in what I feel is one of the most complicated characters ever (complicated meaning conflicted on many different levels) and you have the book series that has moved me more than any other. I laughed out loud, I cried out loud, I fumed out loud, and I rejoiced out loud.

So, after all of this time, I am finally getting around to giving my thanks to J.K. Rowling for her excellent books.

No comments: