Thursday, May 15, 2008

Golden Boot

I am copying this list of the top goal scorers of MLS (after 7 weeks of games) from DuNord. This is me giving him a shoutout, because Bruce does a fantastic job of compiling soccer news from around the world everyday. Anyway, here are the top scorers:

8 Landon Donovan
5 Kenny Cooper
5 Robbie Rogers
4 Alejandro Moreno
3 David Beckham
3 Cuauhtemoc Blanco
3 Alan Gordon
3 Sacha Kljestan
3 Jaime Moreno
3 John Thorrington

Now, not to get all "I Love America" teary-eyed on you, but I am so shocked and impressed that the top three are all from the U.S.A. I know that this is our national league (of sorts; we let in Canada also) so it would seem like that should be natural. Well, it is not. I am trying to find the list of Golden Boot winners for the first 13 years of MLS, but I can't. Regardless, it has more often been foreign players than Yanks.

Here we have 5 of the top 10 who are Americans and that makes me happy. The season is still young though and a lot can change.

No comments: