Thursday, October 18, 2007

What's New, Pussycat?

Well, it feels weird not being in my band. Tonight we are going to practice for our last show, but we haven't practiced for like 2-3 weeks, and I have been feeling off kilter. So much of my life has revolved around the band for so long. It is a little disorienting to not be doing it. It makes life feel... stagnant.

I'm going to be setting up a studio. I'll start simple. It will mainly be focused on recording acoustic guitar and vocals. I have too many past, current, and future songs that mean so much to me. I don't really like the thought of never recording them. So, I will do my best to learn how to record them in a quality manner for others to enjoy, also.
I'm going to try and see what I can do with Garage Band. I read somewhere that Thrice used Garage Band for The Alchemy Index. If it is good enough for them, then hey... who am I to think that I need something more.

If anyone has tips on recording techniques or equipment to get/avoid, I'm all ears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other random news, Thursday will be releasing a cd/dvd entitled Kill The House Lights soon. I couldn't find a release date, but head over to their myspace to hear a new track from it.
They are coming to play at Jillian's on November 14th. Very exciting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday saw the release of the much anticipated The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II (Fire and Water). Fire was immediately enjoyable for me. It still felt very much like Thrice. Water has taken more time for me. I am glad to say that it is growing on me a lot now.
I read something interesting from Dustin, where he was talking about the sonnets from each EP. He said they are written from the perspective of the element. "The Flame Deluge" (Fire's sonnet) is fire's lament that humanity has twisted something so helpful and beneficial into a tool of war. "King's Upon the Main" (Water's sonnet) in the sea basically calling out man's pride--we are nothing compared to the power of the sea. Very interesting.

Tuesday also saw the release of Jimmy Eat World's Chase This Light, So far I am liking it, but, like all previous Jimmy cds, it always takes me a while to get really into it. I haven't had any of them hook me on the first listen. That is a good thing, as far as I am concerned. If the alternative is to have an album be immediately accessible and then get old... I'll take the album that makes me work to like it.

(this comes from Scotty and has no relevance at all to what was just discussed. I still liked it, though.)

No comments: