Friday, October 12, 2007

My Story

I'm writing a short story for my creative writing workshop class. I'm really excited, but I am torn between the idea of writing a good one and saving my "good ones" for a different occasion than my classmates. Nothing against them. I think there is a part of me that is always a little scared that someone will steal one of my ideas.
Also, I have discovered that I get really attached to my stories. I spend so much time thinking about them that I grow to truly understand the characters and story, but... I also get too involved with them to feel comfortable telling their story. How strange is that? One of my stories that I was going to write, I quickly realized that it was too huge to do for a short story. It is a novel. Doing it as a short story doesn't do it justice. Anyway, my ranting all boils down to this: I just need to write a friggin' story and get a grade. I think I just need the experience of finally finishing a story, instead of outlining endlessly. It would feel good to finally get some of these millions of ideas and potential projects out and done with. Finishing Ned Tender was one of the most amazing feelings I've ever had. I had finally finished one of my creative efforts and it was good. What a feeling. To use Toby's phrase, "I'm gonna chase that feeling."

No comments: