Thursday, March 05, 2009

Jimmy Eat World... Here I Come!

As many know (but most probably don't), Jimmy Eat World has been doing a ten show tour in honor of the tenth anniversary of their album Clarity--my favorite album of all time. The way in which they shall be honoring this album is by playing the album in its entirety and in order (as far as I know). This is more than exciting... this is like a dream fulfilled. Thus, if you will... a moment of silence please...
...
...
...

...

...
...

Excellent. The final show will be this Saturday in their hometown (or at least pretty close) in Arizona. Sierra and I shall be there.

Here are two of my favorite songs from the album:
First, a little song called "For Me This Is Heaven." This is the song that changed the way I listen to Jimmy Eat World (and also, in a round about way, inspired one of my songs, "Heaven's Showers"). I had already fallen in love with JEW from their album Bleed American (the album that came after Clarity), but this song didn't have the "fun/pop" feel (without being "pop/crap") that had initially attracted me to the band. This song showed me a much deeper and more complex songwriting ability possessed by this band. Also, be warned that there is some random girl playing piano and singing along with the band. I'm not sure who she is.
Jimmy Eat World - "For Me This Is Heaven"


The second song is the last track on Clarity and is called "Goodbye Sky Harbor." It is over 16 minutes in length and the majority of that is the outro--a fairly short sequence/phrase that is being repeated over and over and over with slight (and some more obvious) variations on the theme. The truth is, I don't know another song that can repeat the same basic riff/chord progression for about 8 minutes straight and not make me want to shoot myself. The fact that I will sit there and listen to this track all the way through every time without ever ever having even the slightest desire to change it, and instead sit there loving every second of it speaks very highly to me of the creative powers of this band. I'll shut up now and let you watch the song, by saying that this clip cuts out most of the outro so don't be afraid of it.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

So how is the show going? You are there as I write this. I wish I was there! Clarity is my favorite album of all time. I hope you brought a video camera so I can watch the bootleg!

elopingcamel said...

I took no camera, but there are TONS of bootleg videos online. On this very line.

Ryan said...

Where were you standing? Jimmy posted a picture of the crowd on their Twitter but I didn't see you.

elopingcamel said...

I think I am either right in the big blurry/bright spot or right to the side/behind it. It is hard to know for sure, but I tried to raise my Scotland hat as soon as I saw the drummer taking the picture. I think I might have been too late, though. Also, maybe look for a tall Hopi Misty. She might be visible.