Monday, September 15, 2008

Another Weezer

I am flooding the webwaves with Weezer lately, but what can I say? I have rediscovered my love for them. Here is an acoustic performance of one of the Red Album's bonus tracks, "Miss Sweeney." It was recorded at the AOL Sessions, also.
One aspect of Weezer that has always endeared them to me is their serious form of being strange. They do random things that are really weird, but they don't sit there and giggle and what not. It is like they are making a joke or doing something funny, but they won't admit that the purpuse of it is to be funny; they play it off like it is serious. I'm not a huge Andy Kaufman fan (I have nothing against him, I just haven't seen much of his work; I am only familiar with his exploits from watching Man on the Moon), but it reminds of how he went out and read a book for one of his standup routines. Brilliant. Weezer is the type of band that would do something weird for the sake of mixing things up, and maybe just because they see the value in artistic strangeness. To me, that kind of strange sense of humor borders on art itself.

3 comments:

Frown Like A Thunderstorm said...

The moustache itself seems to be conveying the silliness. The cover of the red album is a serious step into silly sanctuaries.

Ryan said...

Very good.

Misty said...

A few years ago there were some crazy rumors that Rivers would do a rap album. He did indeed release a couple songs where he was "rapping". Its pretty obvious that this video means we'll see Rivers on Broadway soon. In fact, this video might be his audition for Les Miserables...