Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Recurring Dreams

I'm interested in the phenomenon that is the recurring dream. I have heard a few other peoples' recurring dreams before and, while I have never found another one quite like my own, I am fascinated by the idea that our mind would replay a certain scenario over and over to us in our sleep.

Here, for your reading pleasure, is the tale of my own recurring dream that I had repeatedly as a child. I haven't had it since I was about 7 or 8, but I certainly had it enough to remember it vividly.

In my dream, my mom would put me on the timeout chair in the kitchen (what I had done to deserve such a punishment was never made clear) and then leave. I'd be sitting there alone in the kitchen when all of a sudden the pantry door would open up. Instead of being the shelves of food that were normally found inside, it would be an old stone passage that spiraled downward. It was dark and had cobwebs and was incredibly reminiscent of 50's horror film. I'd go over and start heading down the stairs, but never get more than two or three steps before I'd hear someone coming up. I'd run back up into the kitchen, turn around, and then all of the old 50's horror flick monsters would come out of the pantry: Frankenstein, Dracula, the wolfman, mummies... you name it and they were there. I'd be freaked out of my mind, and then the Monster Mash song would start playing and we'd all have a Monster Mash dance party in the kitchen. Very strange.

No comments: