Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Day 9

Man, I am doing so much better than I thought I would at NaNoWriMo. I say this not to gloat but to share my excitement at the feeling of excelling at something. Whether my story or writing ability is any good whatsoever is irrelevant; I can write lots of words fast. Ha! Take that, world!

So part of the idea of NaNoWriMo (from what I've read and been told) is that you don't go back and edit or rewrite. I think that I thought that meant that I shouldn't go back and fill in scenes, but just keep moving toward the end. Well, this week I am learning what a silly assumption that is. I had been writing and writing and moving forward and then I started to realize that I had not developed my characters even slightly enough. I didn't know who they were when the story began, so it was proving very difficult to know who they were to become through their trials and how they would respond to certain stimuli. So I am going back and figuring out who those characters are. I'm not erasing anything that I have written and I am not rewriting scenes that have already been written. Instead I am writing scenes from a time before the characters' world was shot to heck.

It has been tremendous fun for me. I finally feel like I understand who my main character is and I am finally forming a picture of who his love interest is (and she finally feels like a person instead of an ideal). Huzzah.

In other random news, I thought I'd give a shout out to a couple of books that I recently read and enjoyed.

First, Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. It was an excellent and highly original work of fantasy fiction. I've read lots of fantasy novels over the years and it is easy for many of them to be entertaining but not very memorable. This one was memorable.

Second, Here, There be Dragons (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica) by James A. Owen. This was a recommended to me through Graham Bradley's blog. It was a lot of fun and had a very enjoyable "big reveal" at the end. Not terribly groundbreaking but lots of fun.

Third, Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. This one was recommended to me by Isaac Byrd--the law clerk that supervises me at the court. VERY cool book and you do NOT need to be learned or versed in Economics to understand or enjoy it.

That is all. Have a nice day and enjoy some stats.

Day 9: 3,458
NaNoWriMo: 22,863
Total: 36,768

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I went back and added more to my scenes yesterday. I did feel bad about it at first, but told myself it was OK so long as I didn't erase anything. :)

elopingcamel said...

I think you are spot on there, Brittany. There is nothing wrong with adding some more where more is needed. Especially if we sort of skipped Act 1 of the story (which between yesterday and today I realized I had done).

Thanks for commenting.