Thursday, November 03, 2011

Day 3

Maybe I will write on here everyday; it gives me a place to keep track of my progress.

I wrote 2,464 words today. It almost felt like cheating for part of it though because some of it was more outline than novel. The problem is that I am noticing just how undeveloped this story is and I don't always know what is happening between the major scenes. I also don't really have an ending at all. So today I realized that much of what I wrote yesterday is likely unusable once I make some of the changes that I outlined today. I'm totally fine with that, because the core aspects of the dialogue are absolutely transportable from one version of a scene to either the new version of that scene or an entirely different scene.

I am happy about today as well, because I finally woke up earlier than when Lydia wakes me up. So I got up at 6:00 a.m., did some scripture study, and then went to work on the novel for an hour or so. Sierra went in to work this morning so I wasn't able to write a ton once Lydia woke up, but getting up early made it possible to reach my daily goal. Hooray for goal reaching.

If I may also add one last tidbit, I learned tonight that many professional, full-time artists write about 2,000 words a day. That is a fairly standard industry goal. Granted there are PLENTY of authors out there that do more, but once an author's book gets published, there are lots of PR and career management tasks that take time away from writing each day. The point is that I have put off writing for so long, thinking that I didn't have time for it. Apparently my current goal of 2,000 words a day is EXACTLY how much time I need (and I am finding that to be a more than achievable goal for myself).

Anyway, good night.

NaNoWriMo Word Count: 9,680
Total Word Count: 23,585

No comments: