Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 28: Endgame

Today was a bag of mixed nuts. First the great, fantastic, amazing, it is still blowing my mind news: I reached 50k words today for the month of November! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! Take that, Captain Planet!

However I also received some disappointing news today: apparently the rules for NaNoWriMo only recognize you as a "Winner" if you started completely from scratch on day 1. Since I started in October and already had 14k words for my novel on day 1, I cannot be considered a Winner (by them--I'm totally a winner in my book). Instead I can only be considered a Rebel and feel what I assume is supposed to be a slightly less gratifying satisfaction by my cheater's victory.

I'm actually not as disappointed by this as I would have thought. When I first started I intended only to write 20k words in November and I was going to conduct my own NaNoWriMo with just friends. It wasn't until the last minute that I decided to try the real one. The point is that I did what I set out to do, wrote 50k words in November (I did it in 28 days), and I loved every minute of it.

I never had that whole "I don't want to write today" thing. Most days I wished I could have written more and just had to content myself to stop where I did so I could live my real life. I never really had writer's block either. If I had trouble writing it was always because I hadn't prepared and outlined enough to know something as simple as the setting or what was motivating a character (almost always the setting). It has been a wonderful experience for me and one that I plan to do again and again in the future.

As for this novel: I will finish it (hopefully in December) and then scrap it, go back and outline it how I should have from the beginning, and then write the seconds draft of what will likely be a very different book. That thought always terrified me before but now I embrace it.

What a fun adventure. From here on out I will not be updating with a daily report on my word count. Instead I will fall back into a more general accounting of my writing projects and life. I also will take a break from my novel while I work on that short story so I can submit it to the writing contest I had previously mentioned. Here is to victory.

Day 28: 3,309
NaNo Novel: 49,872
Total Novel: 63,777

NaNo Side Short Story: 1,407

November Total (including the short story): 51,279

1 comment:

Jim said...

The cloud-sharing capabilities of the new version of Office 2007 including PowerPoint,Word, and the Excell Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 available through the SharePoint platform