Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 16

Today I did something new with my writing: I wrote from a different character's view point. This was an excellent decision for a couple of reasons: (1) I had been writing lots of back story for the past few days and needed a change of pace, and (2) I finally got into the head of the female main character.

Man! I had no clue how little I knew about her. I didn't know how she thought, what was important to her, how she reacted to surprise, or hardly anything about her until this morning. This was also important because it finally gave me some material for her conflicts and character path.

Most of the material I wrote today will likely come into the story through flashbacks (because I think the story will REALLY drag at the beginning if I try to put all this material in Act 1), but I also think that it is good to start off writing it at the time in which it happened to the character. It feels more present to me and I hope that will make it more realistic and present for the reader.

Today we begin the slide down the writing mountain. Some of my fears about having less time to write are no longer concerns; Friday is the last day of my judicial externship with my dad and so after that I'll be helping to watch Lydia in the mornings and studying for finals in the afternoons and evenings. It will be just like summer school (sort of).

Day 16: 3,699
NaNoWriMo: 34,801
Total: 48,706

No comments: